Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cyberspace

As of this morning I have every reason to be freaked out by Cyberspace. What on earth has a random to do, with sending another complete stranger a message starting out, Hey beautiful lady. And how on earth would the guy think it encouraging if his virtual name incorporates the word, 'Killer'. I don't think so. I'm prepared to take weird, and I don't want to judge, but one has also to think in regards to his or her own personal cyber safety. So I made the decision to immediately terminate my account on that particular website. Whadda you reckon?

May as well take this opportunity to muse on the subject of fear, which is more pertinent now more than ever because of the potential danger of the internet, and its accessibility to kids. I guess you have to have a balance between security and the Uncertain. Ben Lee sings the words, "You can't climb til you're ready to fall". It is true, fear is the great crippler and you can't hide under a stone forever. But that doesn't mean you don't be careful.

I took my chances by signing up to a party networking site, which I felt a bit dodgy about to start with, in order to see a few pictures of my friend. But now I'm sure I do NOT want to be lurking around that particular dodgy-looking alleyway. For now, then, I'm just gonna play it (relatively) safe on Facebook and Flickr Photos and my Department of Education email account. Whadda you reckon?

No comments: