'All the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey, I went for a walk, on a winter's day (on a winter's da-ay'
Hallo liebe Leute,
In this blog entry I will simpy describe the life I am living now. The weather is cold, of course. And as I implied by siting the song above, the sky is often grey. But yesterday the sky was actually clear blue. That was beautiful.
Every school day I am going to school. One difference from school in Sydney is namely that there are boys. But another difference is, I think the students are somewhat more mature. In my class the kids are relatively well-behaved most of the time. I think they might be treated more as adults, and that could have something to do with it.
Anyway last weekend my host father, sister and I went into the city - Hamburg. I'm very glad I've already seen round it. We went to three Christmas markets! They all had that same welcoming, homely sort of atmosphere. You all should all experience Germany sometime, if possible. And if possible at this time of year.
Apart from that I'm just living life with my host family. That's what I came here to do! On Sunday afternoon we baked Christmas biscuits, a huge tinful of them. That night I went with Maleen to her choir practice, in the church. It went on for a long time, because before the actual practice a TV crew were filming them. I met some other friendly Germans there, which was nice. They are all young-ish, energetic and enthusiastic. After all it is a gospel choir...
Well for now I suppose that is it from me. Christmas is creeping ever closer. My parents and brothers will arrive for a visit a week from tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to a confirmation lesson around the corner, where my host father is pastor. Tonight an old man is talking about his experiences during WWII. Here in my new home the family has a gift-Advent calendar. Yesterday I opened the first present - it was an Elvis Presley Christmas CD! Echt geil.
Bye for now,
love Livy
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Livs, it all sounds beautiful. Has it snowed there yet for you? We had a little snow today, but it melted very quickly. Paul and I visited a somewhat less authentic German market in Manchester. I tried Gluhwein, which was super delicious and bratwust, which reminded me of my visit to Berlin. Berlin is a truly fantastic city with a phenomenal history. And recent history at that - the Berlin wall fell when I was six!
Hope you are having fun. With love Rhianxxx
with the fact that there are boys is a difference dependent on the choice of school you go to. and maturity comes responsibility. mind you people are sometimes genetically affected which causes their maturity to lag behind others. i've always found that my brother and i matured earlier than others which led to every argument being based on the subject of science. sad really, my childhood had drifted away in seconds as the rest of the world goes by. and drinking, there is some fact that in other countries teens are allowed to drink earlier and that might dissolve the immature nature of drinking in youths in australia. i guess you are having more fun in Germany compared to Australia with christmas related events and outings. and it seems you'll never stop baking. don't bleed your host family's money, Germany is in recession and we'd like them to keep surviving =D... yes, i am odd, and you know it.
p.s. elvis presley sucks
That all sounds amazing Liv!!!
Gald to read you are enjoying the trip :)
are you and Anna at the same school/ anywhere near each other?
Stay safe and warm ;p
--love, Nigar
--btw: using my LJ to comment here :)
Post a Comment